ARQUISTE Candle 251 grs/ 8.9 oz:
September 1620. Nighttime inside a merchant ship, Nagasaki port. Within the pitch black of the hull, the aroma of lacquered wooden armoires and of trunks full of rare spices, incense and leather, thickens the air with a dark, exotic redolence. Notes include: Persian saffron, Spanish leather, Sandalwood, Frankincense and Cade. Developed with Nicole Mancini and Rodrigo Flores-Roux ***Candles can ship internationally.
DARK GALLEON, by ARQUISTE Parfumeur
- Scented Candle / Bougie Parfumée
- Estimated burning time: 55 to 60 hours.
- 8.9 oz / 251 g.
- Includes engraved metal lid.
- A woody, leathery scented candle inspired by the galleon referenced in NANBAN.
- Candles can ship internationally.
- DARK GALLEON focuses on the moment of disembarkation, when the merchant galleon arrives in Nagasaki, the South Island port city where the Spanish and Portuguese had set up camp for trade with the Japanese.
- The pitch black hull of the galleon was saturated with the scent of spice barrels and trunks full of leather. The smokey notes of tar and cade wood give a mysterious, hypnotizing allure, like dying embers in a bonfire.
– Massarella, Derek, Japanese Travelers in Sixteenth-century Europe: A Dialogue Concerning the Mission of the Japanese Ambassadors to the Roman Curia (1590), Ashgate Publishing, Ltd., January 28, 2013. – Lidin, Olof G., Tanegashima – The Arrival of Europe in Japan.Routledge, 2002. – Moran, J.F., The Japanese and the Jesuits, Routledge, 2012. – Sakamoto Mitsuru et al., Nanban byobu shusei (Compendium of Nanban screens), Tokyo, Chuo Koron Bijutsu Shuppan, 2008. – Nelson, Thomas, Monumenta Nipponica: Studies on Japanese Culture, Past and Present, Volume 59, Issues 3-4, Sophia University, 2004. – Boxer, C.R. The Christian Century in Japan, 1549–1650, Berkeley, California: University of California Press, 1951. (1993 reprint edition). – Marcouin, Francis and Keiko Omoto. Quand le Japon s’ouvrit au monde, Paris: Découvertes Gallimard, 1990. – Hayes, Derek, Historical atlas of the North Pacific Ocean: maps of discovery and scientific exploration, 1500–2000, Seattle, Washington: Sasquatch Books. 2001. – Annals of His Time: Don Domingo De San Anton Munon Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin, Stanford University Press 2006. – Sotelo, Luis De ecclesiae Iaponicae statu relatio – Endo, Shusaku, The Samurai, New Directions Publishing Corporation, Reprint edition, april 1997. (A slightly fictional account of Hasekura’s expedition). – The World and Japan – Tensho and Keicho missions to Europe 16th – 17th century“世界と日本ー天正・慶長の使節, 1995, Sendai City Museum (Japanese) – Date Masamune’s Mission to Rome in 1615 国宝「慶長遣欧使節関係資料」, Catalogue of Sendai City Museum, 2001. (Japanese)